First announced at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference in June, iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 are Apple’s next-generation operating systems for the iPhone and iPad. Developers and public beta testers have spent the past few months trying out new versions while Apple is refining them, and a full public release is now just around the corner… at least for iOS 16.
On the iPhone, iOS 16 includes a completely overhauled lock screen with extensive personalization features and widgets. There are new focus filters, passkeys, Safari shared tab groups, and more.
iPadOS 16 gets a Weather app for the first time, and also offers a range of “Pro” features that are exclusive to iPad models with the M1 chip. For example, Stage Manager brings a new way to multitask with multiple overlapping windows and full external display support.
iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 also share many new features and changes such as updates to apps such as Notes, Mail and Messages, Live Text, Visual Look Up and Dictation enhancements.
iOS 16 release date and time
iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 became available to registered members of Apple’s developer program shortly after the WWDC keynote on June 7, and Apple released the public beta on July 11.
Apple originally said that iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 would be officially released in the “fall” of 2022, without specifying an exact date. Apple has since confirmed at a September “Far Out” media event that iOS 16 will be available on Monday, September 12, Apple’s iOS release typically occurs around 10:00 p.m. Pacific Time, but Apple hasn’t announced an exact time for the release of iOS 16.
Assuming 10:00 a.m. Pacific launch time, iOS 16 will be available worldwide at approximately these times:
- Honolulu, Hawaii – 7:00 a.m.
- Anchorage, Alaska – 9:00 a.m. AKDT
- Cupertino, California – 10:00 a.m. PDT
- Phoenix, Arizona – 10:00 AM MST
- Vancouver, Canada – 10:00 a.m. PDT
- Denver, Colorado – 11:00am MDT
- Dallas, Texas – 12:00 PM CDT
- New York, New York – 1:00 p.m. EDT
- Toronto, Canada – 1:00 p.m. EDT
- Halifax, Canada – 2:00 pm ADT
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – 2:00 pm BRT
- London, United Kingdom – 6:00pm BST
- Berlin, Germany – 7:00 pm CEST
- Paris, France – 7:00 pm CEST
- Cape Town, South Africa – 7:00 pm
- Moscow, Russia – 8:00 pm MSK
- Helsinki, Finland – 8:00 pm EEST
- Istanbul, Turkey – 8:00 pm TRT
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates – 9:00 PM GST
- Delhi, India – 10:30 PM IST
- Jakarta, Indonesia – the next day at 12:00 AM WIB
- Shanghai, China – 1:00AM CST the next day
- Singapore – 1:00 AM SGT Next Day
- Perth, Australia – 1:00 AM the next day
- Hong Kong – 1:00am HKT Next day
- Seoul, South Korea – 2:00 AM KST the next day
- Tokyo, Japan – Next day at 2:00 AM JST
- Adelaide, Australia – 2:30 AM ACST Next day
- SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA – 3:00 AM AEST THE NEXT DAY
- Auckland, New Zealand – 5:00 AM NZST the next day
in early August, bloomberg reported that Apple was planning to delay the launch of the iPad 16 until October, which means the iPad software will not launch with the new iOS as it usually does. Apple has since confirmed that iPadOS 16 will actually launch sometime in OctoberA few weeks after iOS 16.
iOS 16 is compatible with the iPhone 8 and newer, while the iPad 16 is compatible with the iPad (5th generation and later), iPad mini (5th generation and later), iPad Air (3rd generation and later), and all iPad Pro models. is compatible.